Health and Ageing
Helping to improve health and ageing
- Chairing the House of Representatives Health and Ageing Committee and overseeing federal Inquiries into Skin Cancer, Hepatitis C and Chronic Disease that have resulted in positive changes to the Health system.
- Saving maternity services at Bentley Hospital on 2 occasions.
- Advocating and helping secure federal approval for a new Curtin Medical School
- Securing health services for Belmont through local campaigns for Belmont Medicare Office 2009; Belmont HBF Office 2010; Belmont City Medical Centre 2012; and Belvidere Street After hours and community health facility 2012.
- Fighting for and getting Bentley Hospital to keep its elective surgery.
- Breaking a 40 year Canberra impasse to get a Queens Park resident an inquiry into Arachnoiditis.
- Working with doctors to secure the re-opening of the Mends Street Medical Centre in South Perth and return of medical records to constituents.
- Initiating the Irons report into Youth suicide on behalf of Burswood charity Youth Focus.
- Establishing the Parliamentary Friends of Seniors and Ageing – a bipartisan initiative.
- Secured funds for a new aged care facility in Manning.
- Running an electorate-wide first aid in burns campaign following the input of Fiona Stanley
Campaigns in Progress
Belmont Community Centre to secure the future of important services in Belmont.